Paralympic Training Site
In 2018, Turnstone became one of the eleven designated sites throughout the country that supports the training and development of aspiring and elite athletes in the Olympic and Paralympic family. Turnstone’s facilities, staff, and resources provide an elite athlete training environment for current and aspiring Paralympic athletes, with a specialty in the sport of goalball, as well as developmental opportunities for athletes in other Paralympic sports. Through Turnstone’s relationship with the United States Association of Blind Athletes (USABA), Turnstone is home to the Goalball Center of Excellence, the Men’s and Women’s Goalball Resident Program and the internationally ranked 2018 U.S. Men’s and Women’s National Goalball teams.
Gold Level Paralympic Sport Club
Turnstone is one of only ten Gold Level Paralympic Sports Clubs in the United States. This designation means that Turnstone provides outstanding support for athletes seeking to compete at the elite Paralympic level, including:
- Offering an array of sports and multiple opportunities for participation
- Providing regional or national competition opportunities
- Providing programs that allow athletes to develop from beginner to elite
- Identifying, recruiting, and tracking emerging athletes
- Providing professional development opportunities for coaches and staff to attain certification
- Recruiting and mentoring coaching staff
- Developing and implementing a high-performance team
- Empowering athletes to obtain grants and sponsorships
Paralympic Sports at Turnstone
Turnstone is the official home for USA Goalball and has hosted the USA Men's National Goalball Team since 2015, and the USA Women's National Goalball Team since 2017. USA Goalball conducts training clinics, their resident athlete program and elite training camps at Turnstone in the Goalball Center of Excellence established in partnership with the United States Association of Blind Athletes.